Walks II

We are still walking but doing a lot of those we have done before. Only new walks or those with slight differences will now be shown.

2nd October 2013 - Fakenham circular walks

We decided to do both circular walks around Fakenham with E. Last time we did this walk with B., the River Wensum had flooded over the pathway and it was a little dicey in places.

This time it was fine and quite a lot of work has been done to the pathway plus landscaping to the surround area. When finished, it should look quite different.
After we completed the larger of the two walks, we walked through town to begin the smaller one. Lots of chickens and chicks near the water, gobbling bread that was being thrown for the ducks.
We came across this old and defunct Fire Station. I did the best I could to photograph it but there were too many cars parked in front of it.

We drove to Sculthorpe Mill for lunch. DB and E. had been there before but it was new to me. Very nice sandwiches with accompanying salad and vegetable crisps. Mind you, wouldn't want to go there for a more normal meal as the prices were quite steep.

 4th September 2013 - Burnham Overy Staithe

We didn't walk as a group last week due to E. being on holiday. The walk this week is a repeat of one done previously but with different weather. Last time it was pelting down and bitingly cold in the wind and rain. Today, was lovely. Almost too hot but with a good enough breeze to temper things down a little. The tide was on its way out and in the shallows, people were bathing and swimming. I don't fancy it though, too much sticky mud!
DB and E. - we all needed our hats!

Once back at the car and after a nice cold drink, we set off into Thornham to partake of lunch at Thornham Deli. It was reasonably well priced and there was a good menu. 

We all decided on sandwiches with some shared chips. As DB and I have been only having a light (if any at all) lunch the previous few days, we couldn't finish. He put his chips (twice fried and crunchy) back onto the joint plate and we asked they be wrapped up (plus half my prawn sandwich) so we could take them home.

Here is what came back, they did make us smile. My prawn sandwich came back looking like an iron!
The chips were wrapped to resemble a sea/marsh bird of some sort.

13th August 2013 - Old Hunstanton 

Had an early walk this week as tomorrow is B's funeral. Went to our old favourite standby - Old Hunstanton as we had E's dog Bonny with us.

The tide was quite high for a change which was good as Bonny had her ball and we kept throwing it either along the beach or into the sea. She had a great time and made us laugh.

We walked to Holme next the sea then came back via a little walk by the River Hun, near the golf course. Managed to find an outside table at The Beach Cafe back at Old Hunstanton and had the following, DB - chilli, chips and cheese. E. - Egg, sausage and chips, me - chicken curry, rice and naan bread. 

We all had drinks, then stayed a little longer and had coffee and biscuits. Arriving back at my house, T. had finished work and joined us for a chat about tomorrow, tea and some more laughs.

7th August - Cromer to Overstrand

Although this is not the first walk taken with only the 3 of us, it is the first one since B's death, one week ago. It was not so strange her not being there, as this used to happen when one or more of us was on holiday. What was strange, was knowing that we couldn't go back to her house for tea and biscuits, and tell her about the walk! E. had not previously done this one, but we did enjoy it, as the weather was far nicer than when we did it with B. back on 29th May this year.

It took us quite a time to get to Cromer, partly due to traffic but also it is always dustbin day somewhere when we are driving and we were stuck behind not only a dustbin wagon but also a slow driver. 

When we eventually arrived in Cromer, we drove to park in the same place B. had previously shown us. Being the height of the summer season though, it took us 3 attempts before we found a slot. Today, we could actually see the Pier. 
Beginning the walk up a slope, showing E. the leftover Christmas lights.
As we left the beach path and moved inland, there was a large patch of Rose bay willow herb. It may well be considered a weed but is certainly lovely when in flower.
After having an ice cream at the top of the cliffs at Overstrand, we walked back to Cromer along the beach. Last time, we were totally soaked but a few people were brave enough to go into the sea despite it no doubt being very cold.
Last time, we ate inside The Rocket Cafe (2nd picture) as it was so wet. This time, we ate on the opposite side to it, outside The Lifeboat Cafe. It was a little cool so we put our coats back on.

DB had egg mayo sandwiches, I had prawn (with very large prawns in) and E. had a home made burger in a lovely bap. We shared a dish of proper (not frozen) cheesy chips! Being a little cool, we all had a hot drink. 

After driving back, we popped into ours to get the washing in, then went around to T's. for a hot drink and a slice of early birthday cake (for DB), in the shape of a caterpillar.   

26th June - Ranworth

Ranworth Broad is lovely and quiet this time of year, with far less visitors and tourist things, than some of the other parts such as Wroxham, which we find a little overwhelming. Herewith some photographs of our walk.

Approaching the Norfolk Wildlife Trust floating information centre, we walked along the board walk taking in the wild flowers.

Here is a view of part of the roof in the centre.
DB climbed to the top of the church tower to take some photographs of the weather vane. Finally, we arrived back at the tea room and had lunch.
Afterwards, we sat on a little wall facing the river to eat ice cream!

19th June - Old Hunstanton

We decided to have a cold drink and biscuit before leaving for our walk today as it was already hot and humid by 10am. B. is still not very good so we decided to do a quick walk at Old Hunstanton to get her out for some air. The tide was so far out it couldn't be seen, very strange.
It was eerily still and humid, not a single breath of wind. We could see a little Egret in the shallows, paddling around and feeding but it was too far away for my camera to pick it up. Instead I snapped 'us'.
We walked for about 1/2 an hour before turning around and coming back to the Beach Cafe for lunch. It was enough for B. After a leisurely sit outside we drove home and invited T. around for a cup of tea and a natter.

12th June - Gressenhall

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so no pictures. We hope to do this walk again as B. was unwell and we knew she would enjoy it.

5th June - Holkham Hall

It was a cloudy day, the wind was blowing at a fair old pace and still cold, so we decided to go somewhere sheltered. The house itself is closed (we weren't planning on going in anyway) so wandered around the grounds. We saw just one party of school children and other than them, it was quite quiet. We don't think it is particularly one of the nicest buildings even if it must have been quite imposing to come home as a new bride.
Can you see the people walking towards us? They asked if we were lost, then told us they were lost and could we direct them to the village, which we did.
Part of the large lake on which you can take a boat trip. 
Some baby geese.
The church, the tower stands as part of a separate building to the main church.

Fallow deer.
A very tall monument plus the plaques at its base. Click on each picture to see them better.

29th May - Cromer via Overstrand beach walk

We drove to Cromer and as the tide was still too high, decided to do the walk back to front. The walk began about 200 metres past the pier just as the beach disappears behind a 'corner'. We followed the cliff path as far as possible before walking slightly inland towards the lighthouse. As you can see, the sea fog was in making it quite difficult at times to get our bearings.

The light was on inside the lighthouse but its beam could only be seen for a short distance. By the time we got to Overstrand, the fog was dispersing and we could now see the cliffs and a little further out to sea. There was a stiff cold wind blowing which was whipping up the sea. We stood close to barriers like little children daring each other to stay put as a large wave crashed inland. The photograph doesn't do the state of the waves justice, but they were quite large.

Once back in Cromer (now very wet and extremely cold) we headed for the Lifeboat Cafe to partake of some hot lunch. The walk was approximately 4.3 miles length and took us 1 1/2 hours or so to complete, most of which was battling against the wind on our return journey!

21st May - Cley next the Sea 

DB and I were on our own this week so did a return walk to here. It was quite cold and very windy as can be seen by the state of the sea! There was also quite a mist of drizzle.

15th May - Foxley Wood

We did this walk last year but unfortunately, we were just a little too early and the flowers of the bluebells were not fully out. Last it, we went here on April 20th but as everything is so far behind this year, choose to go almost a month later. It was a shame that it had rained heavily the day and night before as the ground underfoot was quite wet. However, once you get fully into the wood and into the area where the mass of bluebells are, your slippery journey to them is quickly forgotten. Their scent was a little knocked back due to the rain but was still in the air.

8th May - Gunthorpe

This is a route we had previously walked but without E. who had at the time, returned from holiday with a broken leg. We parked at Gunthorpe church. Last time there was a different crop in the surrounding fields. Today, it was surrounded by rape seed.

There were trees in blossom and lots of wild flowers as well. Does anyone know what the plant is in the bottom photograph of these three?
As we returned to Gunthorpe down a lane, there was field after field of dandelions. They might be a weed but are beautiful in such numbers (as long as they are not in our gardens).

24th April - Heydon to Salle (pronouned Saul)

The start of this walk is in the 'dead end' village of Heydon. In other words, you can't drive through it. We parked in the village car park at the back of the pub, came out again and turned right. Before doing so, we crossed the road to look at this rather grand defunct well!

We had a quick look at the prices in the village tea shop in case we went there then carried on. As I am writing this after a couple of weeks I can't remember the route but basically we were walking towards Salle church, then around farmland and lanes to get back to Heydon. 

Herewith some photographs. The church is quite beautiful inside with large stained glass windows, painted screens and pulpit. There was also a small circular staircase to climb which led to a 'prayer room' that the monks used. On its ceiling were some magnificent bosses.

17th April - Lyng to Elsing 

The walking book (very poor one), suggests parking in the car park of a now defunct pub. We drove past it and parked in the village car park that we missed finding last time around.

We were re-doing this walk as last time E. couldn't come and by following the rubbish instructions, only managed to do half the walk and get lost by some 2 miles or so!

We walked around the corner from parking, crossed the road and went along Heath Road. Coming to the first junction, we kept on the road bearing to the right (last time we went straight on and ended up in Primrose Green). The wind was very strong making it quite hard going up any incline but it was dry and eventually turned warm.

This walk is basically a figure of 8. We arrived in Elsing at The Mermaid Inn and went to visit the church opposite (built by Sir Hugh Hastings).

As you can see, it had the most spectacular of font coverings plus a couple of very impressive brass memorials. We carried on around mainly country lanes, eventually doubling back on ourselves. There were lots of wild primroses,
some stitchwort (greater I think but am not sure)
and quite a lot of dog mercury just beginning to send up its flowers (sorry, forgot to photograph it).

Elsing has quite a nice village sign. 
The Mermaid Inn didn't show much sign of life so we took Lynne's advice from Textile Treasury and drove to The Brisley Bell. Very old looking both inside and out but having wonderful food and friendly service. They were serving OAP lunches which the other 3 partook of, me being honest said I wasn't an OAP and got the same as them but larger (too much to eat in the end). Doesn't always pay to be honest sometimes but there you go!

Anyhow, E. had sausage and mash, B. cottage pie, DB steak & kidney pie and I had chicken & mushroom pie. All were served with season vegetables and either new potatoes or chips.

10th April - Ringstead

We parked at the Village Hall and turned left onto the main road then left again within a few paces, taking us down a nice little B road. No more than 2 cars passed us on this section. 

Eventually we came to a common on our left with a gate and style. We walked up the slope and through a little wooded area to our left. 
Then turning right, we walked along another wood with a field to our left, with burgeoning cowslips just beginning to open. Another couple of weeks and they will be in full bloom.
As we got to the top of this field, we walked beside another where a farmer was busy at work. By the time we had walked beside this field, he was almost finished and luckily for us, we missed the shower of dust he was churning up.
We were by now at the top of the wooded copse and turned left along another two fields. As you can see by most of the photographs, it was quite misty and the views were not as good as they normally would be. Eventually we made another left turn to head back to Ringstead.
 In a field on our right, were around 10 chaps using metal detectors. Wonder if they found anything.After 30 minutes of so, we entered Ringstead again but at the opposite end to where we started. 
We passed a row of council houses, some of which had defunct water pumps in their front gardens. Wonder when they changed over to piped water.
By now the sun was coming out and having been wrapped up against the cold, we were getting hot, certainly our feet were and we realised it wouldn't be long before we would need to change into sandals and summer shoes to cool our feet once our walk was finished.This route measure 4.8 miles and after changing our footwear at the end, we went off to a pub for lunch!

3rd April - The Rudhams

For our walk this week, we parked in front of The Pretty Pink Shop/Cafe in East Rudham. After coffee and biscuits (our own), we walked down School Lane and followed a roughly square walk, bearing right at each turn, until we arrived back in East Rudham, near said shop.

A brisk cold wind was blowing and as we had to cross two large fields diagonally, the full force of the wind and cold could be felt on these occasions. Otherwise, we meandered down what will be green tunnels in summer and down little B roads, that had virtually no traffic.

When the sun came out it was lovely and at time, we got quite warm, other than the fields. Luckily the ground underfoot was reasonably dry.
We had bacon sandwiches, tea and coffee in the cafe where we had parked. Afterwards, we went back to B's, for more tea and Easter chocolate rolls! 

27th March 2013 - Ashill

Our walk this week started off from the community hall in Ashill. They have quite a good sized field, tennis court and play area.
There was a strong wind blowing but it remained dry. Halfway around the walk (approximately 4.5 miles) the sun came out. We were at the time wandering down a green land towards the abandoned church of St. Mary the Virgin and got quite warm.
You can only see inside the church via appointment but here is a link to their web site should you wish to visit St. Mary.

Once out on open fields though, we felt the full force of the wind and quickly put back on our hats and gloves.

In one of the fields were some sheep and gambolling lambs but unfortunately, the camera concentrated on putting the hedgerow into focus, and the animals were just a blur.
We enjoyed the walk despite getting cold towards the end. Had a sandwich lunch at The Windmill in Great Cressingham. B. and E. both had prawn sandwiches and DB and I, a cheese and bacon hogie!

20th March 2013 – Holme next the Sea

Our walk this week saw us in the company of Bonny, E.'s dog. When she is with us we always go to a beach and this week it was Holme next the Sea. We nearly didn't take all our warm weather gear with us but were glad we did. A very cold breeze was blowing in from the sea, but once wrapped up, it wasn't too bad except when I wanted to take a photograph.

Bonny likes to catch her ball, bury it and dig it up again before bringing it back for another throw. 
I tried to get a shot of the off shore wind farm which is growing larger each time we come here but my camera isn't powerful enough. There was a dead and decaying seal on the beach but rather than show you that, here is the insides of a cuttlefish. 
Not much else to show you. The sun tried in vain to peep through the increasing cloud cover but didn't really manage to make much of an appearance.
We walked back to the car and drove the The White Horse in Holme and were surprised to find ourselves the only ones there for around half an hour. B. had lasagne, DB. sausage, egg and chips, E. prawn sandwiches and salad and I had liver, bacon, mash and peas. 
As DB and I only have tea and toast in the evening on walking days, we always eat out as a treat for lunch whilst on them. Usually it is a sandwich but today we felt the need for something hot. All the specials were fish for some reason and neither of us eats much of it.

17th March 2013 - Colkirk

We parked at the Village Hall and as it was sleeting quite heavily,  sheltered near the boot of the car whilst we downed the requisite Tia Maria coffee and home made peanut butter biscuits. Got to keep our strength up!

In the end, we managed to walk 4 miles - the route was originally 7, it was very hard going. The ground underfoot was squelchy and it wasn't long before we all felt we were wearing high heeled walking boots.

Most of it was along dirt country lanes or field boundaries. On more than one occasion, the heavens opened to lash us (near horizontally at times), with rain, sleet and mini snow balls. The wind was blowing hard and we were cheesed off almost before the first mile but stuck at it. I took this picture because of the lovely field markings in the distance.

Along one particular track was hundreds of these, in 5 or so piles. We couldn't work out whether it was the remains of an old garden centre or a defunct marijuana farm!
As we came back into the village, there was a lovely bank of these dwarf daffodils. Had a lovely sandwich lunch at the pub in Colkirk.
8th March 2013 - Brisley

We parked in the village hall car park, walked along the adjoining public footpath, crossed the road to where the walk began, to the left of the church.It was a pleasant enough day, but one of those that leaves you unsure how many coats you ought to be wearing. We made our choices and set off.

Most of this walk entails skirting fields (or crossing them) and one of the first had recently been ploughed, so we ignored the signs and skirted along its edge. These humps don't look very big but they were huge, we reckon the plough must have been a little deep.
We walked along and through fields, woods, over streams and fords and generally took in the delights around us.

Eventually we came to an area on the map indicating water meadows. Luckily for us, we have not had any rain for a week. They were still sodden! We walked for around 2 hours and some 4 1/2 miles, getting slower by the step. Walking over rough wet terrain is quite hard work and as I had tweaked my inside left hip last week, I could now feel it.
The following morning saw me quite stiff which is unusual. Don't suppose it has helped much, us bending this way and that painting the fences.

2nd March 2013 - Holt and Leatheringsett

Our walk this week took in Holt Country Park and surrounding area. Although the sun was shining and at times we got quite warm, in the shade, the cold wind saw us wrapping up again.

Although some of the trees had just finished their flowering (catkins), some were just coming out.
This is one of the ponds up at Spout Hill. It is being fed via a pipe at the back, then tumbles over a small ledge to form a brook through the park.
Coming back to the car park we saw this crazy totem pole which you have to dance around.
These odd sculptures are in the middle of the social area which was open but too cold to sit out in this time of the year.
We were glad to change shoes and head down the road to a lovely Organic farm shop 'Back to the Garden” where we had probably one of the best toasted but not flattened ciabatta full of good roast pork and salad plus a shared bowl of chips. DB and I love strong tea and couldn't see any on the menu. The smiling hostess suggested the one under English Breakfast, special blend I think and it was lovely and strong.

23rd February 2013 - Helhoughton & the Raynhams

It was crispy cold with a stiffening breeze but we were well wrapped up in our thermals and wind-proof clothing. Mind you, we really enjoyed our thermos of Tia Maria coffee and Kit Kat before starting out!

Quite a lot of deep mud was still lying saround as well as marsh-like conditions underfoot in some places. Parking the car close to the church, we ambled through the village and down a lane that looked as though we were walking down someones driveway! 

Eventually we saw a gate and climbed over it, wandering through a field with geese and sheep in it.After quite a long time crossing fields, streams and going through woods, we came to the area of Old Raynham hall and associated farm buildings.

Coming through those was quite wonderful, Vista's of open fields being got ready for Spring, avenues of old trees and small pasture areas of snowdrops. Eventually we came to the newer version of Raynham Hall and associated Church. 

This link takes you to a story of a ghost seen there - Raynham Hall Ghost.We were now on a small road which was a lovely change from all the mud although we were all by now, an inch or so taller! More fields and streams followed
until we came into the The Raynhams and saw this lovely village sign. 
Following the route through, we came to the ruin of the old St. Margaret's church and wandered around. 

Someone had placed (and bolted down!) a sculpture of St. Margaret of Antioch inside. 
There was also an old altar (but not the original I think) and the original font was still there.

Eventually we came back to where we had started, some 4 miles and 1 1/2 hours later. Drove to a pub that we know quite well and each enjoyed a meal for two for £10.00 plus light drinks.

6th February 2013 - South Creake

Our walk this week took us around the area surrounding South Creake, some 4 1/2 miles and 2 hours and 20 minutes. The scenery was bleak, appearing and disappearing in the wintry showers. 

A patch of blue sky would sneak a peek before being pushed out of the way by yet more fast moving, low grey clouds. The wind howled in the trees and hedgerows, other areas were more sheltered but in the gaps in hedgerows, we were buffeted and blown along, slipping and sliding on the muddy lanes.

We parked the car outside St. Mary's church. The area was too muddy to put our wet weather gear on so we sheltered on the lea side of the church, trying to keep upright as we struggled in the wind to put our things on.
Kitted out and wrapped up warm, we set off through the village where we came across this sad but interesting plaque. 

We turned right down Wells road and eventually came to a low part, completely overtaken by a large deep puddle which we couldn't walk in. 
Through the hedgerow in a field to the right, we could see that although the water was also in the field, there were old crops someone had detoured through so we followed suit.

There wasn't much to see on this walk as most of the time we had our heads down to make sure we didn't step into anything too deep and treacherous. E's ankle was by now aching and my right heel, despite a large plaster, was beginning to get sore again but we ploughed on as we were only half way around the route at this time. We eventually got to Creake Abbey Craft Centre and met these two interested horses.
We had visited the cafe in summer and here was where we decided to come back for lunch. A bit of a mistake as it turned out. They are building a new farm shop and cafe so hardly anything was left of the original cafe but they did us something warm to eat but the place itself was cool to say the least. Ah well, you win some and some you don't!

31st January 2012 - Reepham & the Marriott Way

Despite the weather forecast saying we would have showers, our walk was one long sunny time with lovely blue skies and beautiful scenery. The previous nights rain however, made certain parts of it very slippery and squelchy.

We parked at the now defunct railway station at Reepham. It has a few shops and a lovely tea room, full of home made cakes and delicious snacks.
We dropped off the edge of the old platform and walked along the track bed for 3 miles. We came across several of these which we think were 1 miles markers. They had been made from sculpted railway track by a blacksmith and most had a lovely picture on it, which if we had paper and a pencil could have taken an image of.
In Spring with new bright green growth, these tunnels would look spectacular so we hope to come back maybe summer time and note the difference (mainly that it will be dry underfoot).

We saw this sign and a few metres further along, could see the badger set. This photograph looking back at it doesn't really do it justice, it was huge.
After coming to the old crossroad junction at Themelthorpe, we decided to walk partly back by the road. We were all beginning to get tired due to the mud and E. in particular was beginning to feel it. Eventually we had to return down a sleep slope to get back on the track and after a total of 2 hours and 5 1/2 miles, we thankfully arrived back at the station.

We had planned on driving elsewhere for lunch but as it was now 1:15, thought we would investigate the cafe – we were not disappointed.
E. and B. had prawn sandwiches with crisps and salads. DB and I had a beautifully rich tasting ham and stilton quiche with salad and a bread roll. We took a quick look around the warehouse pine shops across the car park then drove home. B. had made some little iced butterfly cakes so 3 of us enjoyed those with a hot drink but E. had to get home as it was now nearly 4pm.

24th January 2013 - Old Hunstanton

Although some of the snow has thawed and the roads are fine, pavements and walkways are icy death traps. We have to be so careful at the moment to ensure E. doesn't fall.

Had to go to the beach again today as everywhere else is just too dangerous. Not many photographs as it was too cold to keep taking off my gloves and there wasn't really much of interest that you haven't seen here on other excursions. It was around 0 Celsius with hardly any wind but still quite cold.

This is the slope we had to negotiate down to get on the sand. From the car to here was probably about 100 metres of ice – it was difficult to take any steps without slipping so we just took our time.
Here is the rest of the group, can you see the quite large amount of coal grit on the sand?
Although none is in the picture, there was yet again, copious amounts of wash up and dried seaweed. We drove towards home and ate at a local pub. We all had pie of some kind, plus veg and either new potatoes are chips, on a 2 for £10 budget - very good. Only needed toast later in the evening.

This morning more thaw has happened. Apparently we are predicted some more snow later tomorrow evening , followed by rain so hopefully, that means it won't settle and we can get back to normal.

17th January 2012 - Old Hunstanton - yes again!

Another very cold night at -8.5 Celsius! It didn't get above freezing at all yesterday and apparently, the same will apply today.

We managed to get out for a walk yesterday, deciding to go to the beach at Old Hunstanton where E. felt safer walking. Probably walked for around an 1 1/2 then drove to have lunch somewhere nice and warm.
The sand walking down to and at the top of the beach was hard underfoot which was a very strange sensation. Sea mist was rolling in further down the area but we were lucky. The tide was out and for the first time ever, where the water had previously come up to at high tide, its remains were frozen.
As we walked towards Holme, we could see a lot of white in the distance and wondered what it was as it couldn't be snow. Any guesses, no. Ah well then, I'll show and tell.

Yes, would you credit it, frozen sea foam. It was like crystalline marshmallow, very odd. Here is a photograph looking across the fields near the golf course. We only saw 3 other people and 2 dogs during our walk.

12th December 2012 - Harpley

Anyway, have just got back from a very chilly walk. We only walked for an hour and that was enough. The starting temperature was barely above freezing and by the time we got home (after a half price lunch plus tea at B.'s), it was -2 already!

As you can see, in common with most people, we had a hoar frost overnight, plus freezing fog. Same is due again tonight but colder still. Herewith the photographs, no E. this time as she is ill.

6th December 2012 - Roydon Common with E.

Yesterday was bright but bitterly cold as we headed to West Norfolk for a re-walk of the Roydon Common and nature reserve, this time with E. whose broken ankle/leg has healed but still limits how long she can walk for.

Last time we were here, the heather was blooming and it was a lovely sight to behold. Buzzards were flying high in the sky presumably nesting in the blocks of trees on the horizon.

It was different yesterday, a kind of bleak but interesting desolation as everything seemed to be in the process of dying back or hibernating.

Here are a few photographs of our walk, hope you enjoy them.

As you can see the sky was constantly changing. There were a few semi-wild horses grazing, managing to keep warm hopefully with their long winter coats growing.
The walk was completed in 1 hour 45 minutes by which time E.'s leg was aching! We went to a place called The Farmer's Arms for a 50% off roast lunch which was quite good.

15th November 2012 - Wells next the Sea

For our walk this week, there was just ourselves as B. was on holiday and E. was decorating! It was still quite foggy in the town but was gradually clearing as we walked.The tide was nowhere to be seen.

 The boats that had been moored here for months, building the wind turbines out at sea, had also gone.
As we walked along the still wet beach, I became very aware of patterns and shapes so thought I'd take some photographs to show you. Fantastic colours here on the rusted groynes.

Lovely ripples left by the receding tide.
The sea buckthorn had its berries on full show.
 As we came into the woods, the light changed.
Here and there were quite a lot of mushrooms/toadstools, I wasn't sure if these were chanterelle's, false chanterelle's or something else!

I know this as reindeer lichen, not sure of its proper name.
A woodpecker had been busy here.
Quite a few trees were down in the woods that run alongside the beach, this one is lovely and we always walk through it. It is thoroughly wedged so won't fall on us.

6th October 2012 - Binham Priory

Our walk this week was 4.5 miles long and took us about 1 hour and 40 minutes.
The church part of the Priory, St. Mary, is still in everyday use and inside, it has one of the most tranquil atmospheres I think I have ever felt. All the windows have plain glass and the sun was streaming through. Unfortunately, we had finished and had a meal before we went inside so forgot to take my camera!! However, here is a picture courtesy of English Heritage.
Walking along lanes and byways, we found brambles hanging like grape vines everywhere and returned after our walk to gather some (we got 1 kg and B. around 1lb). They are now safely ensconced in the freezer for later use.
We went over a rickety wooden bridge under which flowed a little stream in which were large patches of watercress.

Halfway around found us walking along a quiet country lane with splendid autumnal views of the freshly harvested countryside.

These beautiful autumn crocuses were in full bloom (there were just 5 blooms in total).
As we re-entered the village from a different route, someone had trained this pear up the entire side of their house. Mind you, it only had around 5 pears on it.
Although we had previous not had very good meal at the local pub, we decided to give it another go and opted for a hot meal rather than sandwiches to see if it was any better.

We all had ham, egg and chips which was quite nice but the price was too much for what you actually got (more of a snack than a meal). So I'm afraid we won't be partaking there again!

30th September 2012 - Whissonsett

Our walk this week saw us start in the village of Whissonsett, parking in front of the church of St. Mary. We meant to look inside on our return but it began to rain so decided to go for lunch instead.

The route took us around and through the village passing many closed establishments, such as the bakers, butchers, post office and several pubs. Not long after we started we came across a set of miniature standing stocks. I think the ones where you sat down are more humane. At least you had a chance to defend yourself!
We came across a Victorian letter box still in use as well as a housed well/spring.
Coming out of the village we came across this unusual memorial. No further information was available so we thought that was it.
Some distance outside the village we came across flocks of the traditional Norfolk Black Turkey.
Further on we could see the ruins of Godwick church in the middle of fields so we headed over to it. It was surrounded by the deserted village of Godwick itself (of which nothing could be seen bar mounds).
What should we see when nearing the church ruins but a memorial, this time with this rather sad epitaph:
How many more? Now we know who Ben was and we hope he is now resting in peace.

We left the deserted village to go through a farmyard. Just before it was this unusual and rather spectacular late 16th century windowed barn.

We trundled through the farm yard past machinery (a need to keep young children in check here methinks!). We had to cross several fields and quite unusual on such walks, the farmer had made paths through his crops for us to do so.
We returned to the car more than ready for our lunch which we partook of at the cafe in Pensthorpe Reserve. Not too bad but my order seemed to go astray and OH and B. were halfway through theirs before I could start. However, I was given a free cup of coffee to keep me going.

I think we walked for around 1 1/2 hours and it was probably 3 – 3 1/2 miles long. 

E. has now had her plaster cast off but has been told it will be another 6 weeks before she can join us or drive.

20th September 2012 - Pentney Priory Gatehouse

The book said to start there but it appears to be private property and the owner had a gate across with No Access on it - viewing by telephone appointment only!. So we drove down a farm track and parked near an access bridge at the River Nar. Such beautiful crystal clear water running underneath it.
We walked along the Nar for quite a bit of the journey, taking in the countryside and just enjoying the rather brisk breeze blowing on us – it was very refreshing. The sun came in and out but eventually we warmed up and could take off our outer coats.

Came across an unusual style.

Some of the ditches were being cleared of weeds and wild watercress!
Finally, and at last, we came back towards... the Abbey!. Yes, this end part of the public footpath came near it. It was sheaved in polythene whilst English Heritage do some conservation work.
 We had walked for 1 1/2 hours and were more than ready for something to eat. Went to a local pub for sandwiches and juice (beer for OH!).

7th September 2012 - Roydon Common

Our walk yesterday had a feel in places of Luneburg Heath in Germany. The weather was just right, neither too hot nor too cold.

We parked in the playground car park in the little village of Pott Row near Grimston, which is around 4 miles outside King's Lynn. The first part of the walk took us alongside a very deep ditch, often over-run with rabbit holes. We had Hudson's Fen to our right and Millhill Common to our left.

We carried on alongside a small wood, eventually joining for a short while, what was once the railway line that ran from King's Lynn to Melton Constable.
Staying on the path indicated on our map, we emerged onto a track near Cliffe en Howe Road on the outskirts of Pott Row. Bearing right found us trekking through Roydon Common National Nature Reserve (aka Luneburg Heath!). On our left for a short while was Grimston Warren Nature Reserve.

The scent on the air was wonderful and many bees and other insects were busy feeding on the heather. It was not yet in full flower but the colour was gorgeous.

We crossed Lynn Road turning left for around 20 metres before joining another route. This was mainly farmland with a few small patches of woodland.
Soaring above one such patch, were 5 large birds, possibly buzzards of some kind. They were certainly larger than sparrow hawks and merlin's. Our camera's couldn't pick them up but they were very big, with a wide wing span. You could see feathers on the end of the wings that were being used as ailerons to change direction and they had a triangular flared tail.
We also found some more Elephant Grass growing nearby!
Eventually we emerged into Hall Lane in Roydon, but instead of following the road we took another right turn back into a different part of the common.

Arriving back at the car 1 hour and 45 minutes later (4.3 miles), we went again to The Anvil Inn in Congham for a well earned lunch!

4th September 2012 - Thornham

We parked down near the salt marshes in Thornham and walked a circular walk of about 4 miles.It was a lovely day, a few drops of rain but we were in the pub at Holme before the heavens opened. The rain was very intense and at an angle of about 45 degrees! The tide was well and truly out and we found a few piles of discarded shoes (why didn't they take them home?

 I don't know whether this dyke water was fresh or salt water.

We then took a long and hot walk up a hill where there were glorious views of the countryside and the sea in the distance. 

DB had heard on Farming today that in the near future, rape seed fields would start to be replaced by elephant grass as the new bio fuel of the future. This was the first such field we had seen!

Does anyone know what this marsh flower is? It had grey grey slightly fleshy leaves with these odd yellow flowers. As we came back to the car the most beautiful rose scent was on the air. We could only see this flower around so went to sniff it. It did indeed smell of roses. 
Post Script: I have just found out what this flower is, it is a sea aster. These are the centres left after the purple petals have fallen off.

24th August 2012 - Gunthorpe

We parked in the field near the church and as it was open, decided to look around inside. It had the most fantastic stained glass windows, lovely pads kneelers (sorry, photographs didn't come out of those) and the most amazing tiled area at the back of altar.

The walk was around 4 miles long, taking in leafy lanes, edges of fields either harvested or in the process of being harvested and up and down small hills through wooded areas. The temperature was 21 Celsius, sunny with gorgeous wisps of white cloud in the sky.

As we drove to the church to park, the most horrendous smell was in the air but no animals other than a few cows could be seen so we think it was muck being spread on the fields. Luckily on the walk, the smell had dissipated.

The walk took us 1 hour and 15 minutes to navigate around the map. It was lovely. Afterwards we drove to a local garden centre to have a light lunch. Back at B's, we had a cold drink and a nice chat before returning home to do our on-line shopping.

19th August 2012 - Grimston to Congham

Yesterday, a few days later than normal, three of us went on a small walk (E. can't walk as she had a broken ankle). Driving over again to Grimston, we parked near the Cricket ground (Congham side of the road!) and took a route that goes around said pitch, through the back fields near Congham Hall, coming out on a little road in Congham itself.
We walked down a little path through the churchyard, turned right and walked back to another lane. Soon we were gratefully meandering through some woods, which offered us much needed shade in the 31C heat! We had to continually swat biting insects away as there were residual puddles from rain several days ago. We had remembered to take water with us so that helped.

The scenery was lovely, fields of potatoes, giant rolled straw bales sitting like sentinels, guarding their fields, empty fields waiting to be ploughed etc.
What was most noticeable however, was the lack of wild fruit. Yes, brambles are almost ready but there were scant wild plums, apples, crab apples and pears. The few we found were small, hard and sour.
Other fields had sugar beet (plus weeds) growing in them and we acknowledged that soon, it would be harvested, stacked by the side of the road and tractors would be jamming up the roads again!

We finally came back through the Cricket and to the car. We changed shoes, drank more water, cooled down in the shade then thought we would drive to a cafe at nearby Castle Rising. We completely forgot it was Saturday so the place was crowded with wedding guests from the nearby Church!

Ah well we thought, lets try the Anvil at Congham. Piled back into the now hot car and drove there. We were a bit alarmed to see a chap in full morning gear directing cars into the car park but only a few guests were there. 

We ordered drinks and lovely sandwiches and sat back to surreptitiously watch the slowly unfolding fashion show parading in front of us. All in all, an interesting couple of hours but yet again, it was just too hot for walking. 

We were going to stay and visit Congham Fete and the World Snail Racing Championships but decided to go home and cool off.

11th August 2012 - Ely

Yesterday, myself and the birthday boy travelled by train to Ely as he wanted to pootle around as well as have lunch at The Peacock Tearoom down by the river.
Anyway, we walked back past the train station, pausing on the bridge to take a photograph of some of the moored boats.
We then walked down the tow path towards said tearoom, the Babylon Gallery, The Malting's and a lovely 3 storey antique centre, all of which are situated behind the large tree.
There were quite a few geese and ducks with their babies demanding to be fed but there were signs up saying not to feed them.
We had our lunch – DB had a granary sandwich with ham, brie and chutney, I had granary bread with ham and mustard. We also partook of our all time favourite 'builder's' tea – very strong. After looking around the antique shop we walked up the hill to the town centre. It wasn't market day so wasn't too busy.

We refuse to pay to see inside the cathedral as they just charge too much so wandered around outside.
We then strolled down a lovely path at the edge of rolling hillocks.

By now, it was so hot and humid we decided to catch the train back home and again walked down by the river. Such a selection of boats. 

They ranged in size from this:
to this:
right down to this little chap. Ah bless!

10th August 2012 - Grimston to Gayton

We did our walk a day late yesterday even though poor E. was not able to come due to having her leg in plaster. She had been walking the dog on the morning they were due to return from holiday and sprained her ankle dropping into a rut in the path. She managed with the help of a passing girl to get back to her car and drive back to the campsite. On returning home though, it was aching like mad so went to A & E to find she had broken a bone in her ankle. Get well soon E.

Anyway, we parked at the church in Grimston and walked down Watery Lane to avoid the worst of the deadly bends (for pedestrians anyway) in the road. We had to come onto them for about 100 metres – very nasty, before getting to the safety of Elder Lane. We followed this down and around the edge of a field. Forgot to take my camera so no photographs. We trundled past a wheat field, then sugar beet. Took a lovely walk through a small copse which had a beautifully clear chalk stream running through it. Stopped to admire it and take a breather in the welcome shade.

Out we came again to a field of soon to be harvested rape seed. We crossed Well Hall Lane and through some more fields into Gayton village. We walked to The Crown Inn and had some lovely sandwiches and drinks. We took a slight detour back, via the church coming out of its back door and churchyard, taking in another field. This was full of wheat, and we saw some lovely butterflies investigating the elder, rose and brambles, which grew merrily along its side. We took another shaded path, past an old but lovely overgrown chalk pit before coming back onto Well Hall Lane and following the original route back. We reckon it was around 4 miles in total, more than enough on such a humid day.

Driving home hot and tired, we stopped at our house for a welcome cup of tea, glass of water and a piece of Raspberry Cloud Cake.

We all agreed that the cake would be better with a different base or even no base at all, so next time I make it, I will try not using one.

2nd August 2012 - Old Hunstanton

The tide was well and truly out.

We walked along the beach towards the Golf Course at Holme, turned around and walked back. There was quite a lot of sea lettuce and samphire plus other things growing here.
Plus many large swathes of sea buckthorn.
Many small areas of sea holly.
Also large areas of wild flowers, fluffy seed heads and wild rose.

It wasn't too hot but hot enough, despite a lovely cool breeze. Things weren't helped by us having rain gear with us which in the end wasn't needed.

As we approached the Beach Cafe, the lifeboat siren went. I was too far away to get pictures of it being taken by tractor trailer out to the sea but got the tractor and empty trailer coming back.
All we heard before they turned down their radio's was “ETA 10 minutes” and “Looks like the keel”. Guess from that they were on their way out to a boat. The smaller hovercraft style lifeboat was still in the shed.

Anyway, we stayed at the cafe for around an hour hoping to catch it coming back but it didn't. We had coffee and bacon & egg baguettes. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.