Wednesday 13 March 2024

What are you growing this year?

 I hope to grow tomatoes, chillies, carrots, beetroot, various lettuce and other greens, dwarf French beans, radish, might squeeze in some peas, and more annual flowers for the bees.

On the fruit side of things not much. The bramble usually does well, but strawberries, gooseberries and rhubarb were all pathetic last year. Hopefully they will do better this year. Still have my red pear but it too didn’t do well.

Ah well, got to keep trying. 

On the herbal tea front, another month should see the nettle growth in a wild patch close to us. They will gradually get harvested and dried for tea. Made two jars worth last year, used one so far. Need to plant a lot more mint in tubs as we almost ran out of that.

If you have only bought commercial mint tea, lemon balm or lemon verbena, or nettle tea, your own that has been dried is way better.

10 comments:

  1. We'll be growing tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce & probably some runner beans. We've got plenty of rhubarb coming up as well. I always plant annuals as well. I grow cosmos from seeds along with nasturtiums. We've got a lot of perennials as well. We have to be careful with where we plant - a young lab and an inherited 13yr old dog both play havoc in the garden!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benefit of our raised beds but although the flower borders can be reached, we can place fences if necessary.

      Delete
  2. I have 2 small new veg beds this year, so I am planning what to grow, I already have fruits and I always grow salads. I have flowers on my early broad beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the scent of broad bean flowers, especially the heritage varieties.

      Delete
  3. I'll be cutting things right back this year ... as long as the onions and garlic all grow and can be harvested leaving the beds free to use. But my main crops will be the rhubarb, the apples, kale, spinach and salad leaves, a couple of tomato plants and of course the 'herb bath' is always in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than chives we will have an onion free year to try and rid ourselves of the leek moth.

      Delete
  4. Probably the usual will be grown here. We usually grow potatoes, peppers, beans, eggplant, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, and squash of some kind. Harvey for the last few years has grown sunflowers for the birds to eat over the winter. I grow sage, thyme, basil, mint, oregano and am planning on a few others to add to the list.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a good mix. I forgot about aubergine (eggplant).

      Delete
  5. I'm trying to go 'Dig for Victory' and grow a proper family veg plot, after several years of growing semi commercially, and then a couple of not doing very much at all! My seed potatoes are already a little over excited, but the first job is to get the beds cleared, and unfortunately it's still very wet out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our raised beds help regarding the soil saturation but will need extra nutrients as suspect the rain has washed a lot of my autumn additions away!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.