Friday 20 October 2023

Apple Bakes

 There are numerous versions of these online under the names of cookies, biscuits and scones so I am calling them bakes. I can't credit anyone as I don't know who the original author is:(

Beat 2 eggs with 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar and 100g of soft butter or margarine

In a bowl, mix 320g Plain Flour with 14g baking powder and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon if desired. 

Add half the flour mixture to the eggs and mix well. Then add the other half. This will be quite hard to do as it has to be a stiff mixture. Do not be tempted to add more liquid, the apples provide the rest!

Mix in 2 medium peeled, sliced then roughly chopped eating apples. I needed to do this with my hands.

Line a flat sheet tray with parchment paper and dollop on 9 blobs of the mixture. 9 blobs will make quite large bakes. Flatten slightly. 

Bake at 180C for about 18 - 20 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove off the tray and place on a cooling rack. If desired sprinkle on some icing sugar through a sieve.

In my air fryer, I baked a few at a time on 180C and managed to get 13. They also only took 12 minutes or so.

They are lovely. Crisp on the outside, texture of a fresh scone inside. I am sure they will be less crisp tomorrow, but that doesn't matter to us.




10 comments:

  1. They look and sound a bit like the rock cakes my Mum used to make regularly. She didn't put apple in though, but I'm sure that would be a lovely addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are similar but a little different. I don’t think Rock cakes are so hard to mix together.

      Delete
  2. Great to have found you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting recipe.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Softer on the outside today but still lovely.

      Delete
  4. They look so, so delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made scones using apple sauce, but I've never come across this recipe and method for your bakes using apple chunks. They look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would normally make scones but fancied giving these a try. Reckon pear would work as well.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.