Wednesday 8 May 2024

Pickled eggs and bees!

We have been married nearly 43 years and I thought it about time, I did some pickled eggs for DB, who says he loves them:

We shall be able to try them the end of May. No idea whether I have chosen a good recipe.

May is the time when the non hive bees like to lay their eggs. We have been lucky in that they use our south facing wall. Our bee logs have increased over the years. The bottom one is new for 2024 and they are not too keen on it yet, preferring older logs:


The one above has hatched last years brood and new eggs are being laid.

The entrances are mainly sealed with mud but occasionally, we get ones sealed with rose leaves, as seen on our roses with holes missing!

The bee house below, was bought too late last year but they are beginning to find it. I am determined to help all bees as much as I can and usually plant as many flowers as possible both in the front and back gardens:



7 comments:

  1. That is a very attractive bee house! You say you bought it too late last year - what's the best time to get one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it tail end of last year. Non hive bees look for nests between mid April to end of May mostly. Some go into June.

      Delete
  2. My first thought when I read your title on my sidebar was 'aww, don't pickle the bees' ... haha, but the eggs will be lovely. We used to sell out little pickled Pekin eggs at the Farmers Market, they were always very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember when the only thing you could get to eat in a pub was a packet of crisps with a pickled egg added. - Always very tasty back then. Hope yours are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. No, I don’t remember pickled eggs but do remember crisps or nuts being the only snack available.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.